to tatou Maunga
Manganui Ski Area consists of gentle intermediate runs and open bowls. Manganui is family friendly, while also having outstanding steep runs for skiers and snowboarders.
Manganui has a T-Bar, a learner’s rope tow, access tow, and a fixed grip rope tow or ‘Nutcracker’ (The Top Tow).
Lift Hours: 9:30am - 4:00pm
Our terrain goes from a sublime beginner-intermediate t-bar, with 140m vertical, to our nut-cracker rope tow which is about 300m of fall line skiing (think Treble Cone front side steepness).
Ski season is usually mid-June to early-October. During the last few years, we have been the 1st field to open in the North Island.
The ski area is low lying (1260m lower mtn) and experience extreme rain events typical of Mt. Taranaki. This can quickly melt away or turn our snowpack isothermal. With so much precipitation — ranking second in NZ — it's also an ice climbers mecca!
The Manganui Ski Area consists of gentle intermediate runs and open bowls. Brown Bear Ski & Snowboard Area Guide has rated Manganui as family friendly, and also to have outstanding steep runs for skiers and snowboarders. The Lower mountain is an alpine tussock meadow (mowed), so only needs 20-30cm of snow cover to operate. This is generally why we typically open early.
Our snowpack can come and go during the season, so we can’t guarantee consistent operation. But when it's on, IT'S ON! - much like the local surf conditions. So get here before it goes!
$45 for a day pass
- access to family season pass = $100 (with 2 working bees, otherwise $200)
- access to one of the best NZ alpine club lodges (10yrs old, sleeps 33)
- no-frills friendly atmosphere
What makes us different?
- We are the opposite of commercial (not that convenient, but a well earned day of exercise and skiing).
- You have to walk in with your gear (25-30min; goods lift halfway)
- Good alpine footwear essential; good warm up for the walk in = less chance of injury!
- Modest tuck shop - our pies are a treat!
- NO ski hire on-mountain! NO lessons!
- We have the only fully sealed access road to a club field car park
- Road to car park is well gritted and well maintained (by local council contractor)
- We advise you carry chains, you will require chains on 2WD on occasion
- 4WD car with road tyres is plenty here most of the time
- We are never crowded
- Great place to learn to ski or snowboard, and get used to riding a T-Bar
- Snowboarders definitely like our natural half pipes that abound throughout the area
- We are a surfing dominated province, so we are dominated by snowboarders here
- Good warm up for Ruapehu and other ski areas
- Upper mountain is expansive, especially when access is open to both sides of the top-tow!